METRO WIND POWER ltd
“Metro Wind Power Ltd is moving into second phase with the construction activity for the 60 Mega Watt wind farm in Jhimphir area and will achieve commercial operation in Q2 2022.”
Metro Wind Power Limited is a 60 MW project, being developed to supply electricity to the national grid under the Renewable Energy Policy, AEDB. The project area is 410 acres and the project site is located in the south of Pakistan between Karachi and Hyderabad, approximately 100 km inland from the coast in a semi dessert area. The site is adjacent to the national highway, which provides clear access to the Project Site.
Pakistan has a considerable potential of wind energy in the coastal belt of Sindh, Balochistan and as well as in the desert areas of the Punjab and Sindh. Wind data of Pakistan has been collected from Pakistan Metrological Department and analyzed by AEDB. As per the collected data, coastal belt of Pakistan is naturally gifted with a wind corridor of 60 km wide on Gharo to Kati Bandar and 180 km long up to Hyderabad. This corridor has an exploitable potential of 30,000 MW of electricity generation. AEDB has made a wind resource study to set the benchmark wind speed values at different levels from Gharo and Jhimpir regions at present.
StakeholdersThe project is being sponsored by Iqbal Alimohamed family and financed by International Finance Corporation (IFC) and DEG – Deutsche Investitions – Und Entwicklungsgesellschaft MBh. The Construction Contract is awarded to Hydrochina International Engineering Company Limited and Equipment Supply Contract awarded to Hangzhou Huachen Electric Power Control Company Limited. O&M Contract is awarded to Hydrochina International Engineering Company Limited.
The project consists of 30 Siemens-Gamesa G114 2.0MW Wind Turbine Generators having hub height of 93m.
- Issuance of Letter of Intent (LOI) by AEDB/ Provincial Government: 14th July 2015
- Approval of Project Feasibility Study: 05th October 2017
- Award of Generation tariff by NEPRA: 19th November 2018
- Award of Generation License by NEPRA: 02nd August 2017
- Issuance of Letter of Support (LOS): 07th November 2019
- Signing of Energy Purchase Agreement (EPA): 11th November 2019
- Signing of Implementation Agreement (IA): 12th November 2019
- Financial Closing date: 18th November 2019
- Construction Start Date: 29th July 2020
The project is currently in EPC Phase and is well under way to achieve COD by Q2 2022.